Instructional leadership to me simply means leading from the front. It is critical that as the head of a training organization we do not fall in the trap of only handling bureaucratic activities and keep the main the main thing, which is facilitating learning.
An Instructional leader in my situation, who is handling huge pan-India projects with a huge number of associate trainers, needs to have the ability to:
1. Set clear goals
From the business goals of our clients we draw out what are the human resource requirements through dialogue and discussions with senior leaders in the organization.
Compare current competencies of human capital with required competencies. Here we use the Extended DISC system (a DISC based psychometric assessment) which gives us the natural behavioral tendencies of the individual. Performance appraisals are another source of data as is feedback from seniors.
Do a gap analysis.
Figure out what part of the gap can be bridged through training.
Figure out the learning architecture to bridge that gap and therefore define the learning objectives.
2. Allocate resources to the learning intervention
- Locate and allocate the best human resources to handle the learning intervention.
- Locate any technology that can support the learning intervention. e.g. twitter can be an excellent learning tool.
- Locate content / training material that can support the learning intervention.
3. Manage the curriculum
- Create the program structure or ensure that it is created.
- Ensure that the program structure actually fulfills the learning objectives.
4. Monitoring lesson plans
- Get lesson plans created.
- Ensure that lesson plans incorporate a variety of methodologies.
- Go over training material created – The activities, the presentations, the learner workbooks, the facilitator guides etc.
5. Evaluating teachers/ trainers
- Sit through training programs.
- Give feedback to trainers on how to improve the program.
- Demonstrate techniques, if required.
- Promote relevant inputs to bridge skill gaps, if any.
- Evaluate the training intervention through Phillips ROI method.
Lovely Kumar, Chief-Projects, Larks Learning Pvt Ltd., “What does the 21st century learning facilitator look like? ”, Retrieved on “01-Nov-2011”, https://larkslearning.com/blog/what-does-it-mean-to-be-an-instructional-leader-as-a-corporate-trainer/